North Korea has fired an unidentified short-range projectile twice, South Korean officials say, in the country’s third weapons test in just over a week.
The launches happened in an area on the country’s eastern coast early on Friday.
They are seen as a reaction to planned military exercises between South Korea and the US due this month.
Meanwhile, the UK, France and Germany have called on North Korea to engage in ‘meaningful’ talks with the US
After a closed-door meeting at the UN Security Council, the countries said international sanctions need to be fully enforced until Pyongyang had dismantled its nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.
The launches happened at 02:59 (17:59 GMT Thursday) and 03:23 local time from the Yonghung area in South Hamgyong province into the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea, according to South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
The area appears to be a launch site that has not been used before, said Ankit Panda, adjunct senior fellow at the Federation of American Scientists.
“Another theme of the Kim Jong-un era in addition to frequent night-time launching: launching from previously unused/less-used sites.”
Speaking at the White House, US President Donald Trump said he was not worried with the recent launches as they were short-range missiles and “very standard”.